Friday, May 2, 2014

Unfortunately my plan for this week end fell through. they changed the week of their outing to June. That not going to stop me though I decided to do my own warm up. I am going out this weekend and staying Saturday night and leaving Sunday morning. So let hope there is a lack of rain which there won't be because it's Michigan. This should let me test my fire lighting and shelter building which I already am pretty good at. A while ago I decided when I go camping stop bring tents and make my own. All my friends think I am crazy for doing this but hey it's fun. Most of the time I sleep dryer and better then they do.

The key thing I saw and very much agree with is the 1ft rule. To make a good shelter you need at least 1ft of leaves or branches to stay high and dry. Oak branches don't work well what you really want is pine or cedar. Fire lighting everyone thinks is simple. With a Gallon of gas and a lighter it is but with just a flint it quick hard and you need to know what to use and where to find it. The inner bark of most trees works well and the outer can be used to keep it of the ground so it doesn't get wet.
Any question can be put in comments.

check these sights out for more info

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/chp7.php

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/chp5.php

The people are a little sketchy but the info is good.

3 comments:

  1. I like how passionate you are about your topic! theres nothing better then the outdoors I hope you learn things but also enjoy your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really impressed with your 20-Time Pitch! Still think you are destined for Survivor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I can't even imagine what it would be like to just go and survive for a day without anything.

    ReplyDelete